One of the more impressive aspects of today’s internet is the ability for just about anyone to get online – even in cases where war may get in the way.  Just a few days ago I discovered the site http://iraqblogcountexp.blogspot.com/ where a whole list of Iraqi bloggers are maintained.  As always, our view from outside is always skewed by the media we view as do the bloggers themselves but from inside.  Not all of the blogs listed are in English not surprisingly, but there a couple of bloogers in the list I want to highlight.

One of the best is Iraqpundit who is a journalist in Iraq and has been blogging since 2004, so for most of the conflict.  As a result, however, his name is withheld, one thing that is apparent from his writings is that has also been a traveler.  Among which he has visited both the US and Britain.  He has usually harshly criticism of US and British media, especially over portrayal of various political and social people.  Most recently his anger has fallen on the NYTimes from which I’ll let him speak for himself:

The NYT guy sayd: “On Thursday, Mr. Sadr’s stance was clear. He called the coming vote an act of ‘political resistance,’ a compliment in Mr. Sadr’s lexicon.” Lexicon?!! Mookie?!!?? This is the guy who can barely put two words together. Remember what his, um, lexicon includes? This is the guy who argues that soccer is an Israeli conspiracy to distract young men. His “Delphic” ness is so nonexistent that his handlers rarely, if ever, permit him to speak in public.

One of the advantages of reading Iraqpundit is that his English is very good, in stark contrast to some of the others.

Another one of my favorites is Inside Iraq which is actually a group of Iraqi journalists given a blog by McClatchy.  Their coverage isn’t too good, very low level reporting, but their photos tend to be unique and that makes it more than worth it.

By far one of the harder English ones to read is Violet for Peace who is a female medical student in Mosul, something very rare.  Her posts tend to be stream of consciousness but with usually hard to read in English and occasionally unwilling to be specific about what she’s blogging about.  Good to read, if you can figure out what she’s posting about.

One that I use to follow every once in a while, but I thought had stopped posting finally did so again at Khalid from Iraq, rarely posted before, only about once a month, but always more personal than political stuff.  Somewhat difficult to read.

The last one I’ll recommend off the top of my head is Fog el Nakhal, though whether you like the music on her blog is another story.  Generally tends towards more political rather than social.  Sometimes you’d be amazed what they hear around soldiers that think the Iraqis around them don’t English such as this recent crazy excerpt.

The UK has its bases in the south. I’ve never been to there, and i almost like the idea of this new ‘experience’ until A opens his mouth.
Their subconversation was about safety, and I hear the sentence of ‘i’d shoot an iraqi child easily if it looked like it was going to hurt me or one of my guys’.

I miss my mouth and instantly spill ice cold water down my neck and chest. I dont gasp or jump up…i don’t think i even noticed myself shiver.

They’d shoot a child if it looked like it would hurt. Even without being sure. They called an iraqi child ‘It’. I don’t think i can describe what happened at that moment, which is my soul became devoid of any emotion. A and I stare at each other for what seems to be an eternity. He’s a good guy, but I realise at that moment each values their own more.

I also highly recommend reading her ‘The First time Voter’s Rough and Inaccurate guide to Iraqi Political ‘organisations’….(organisations being in apostrophes, since the very thing they lack is organisation.)’ ” from her January 1 post of this year.  Very good reading, somewhat hard to read though.