While reading the book ‘Three Cups of Tea” I couldn’t help but reflect on my own experiences distributing foreign aid to Muslims in the Middle East. The story was written in the most flattering manner when referring to Greg’s work abroad, but I wonder if it also glossed over many of the facts regarding the public works themselves and the use that they receive. In northern Iraq I have seen an amazing library that had been constructed using foreign aid funds, but I never once saw anyone venture to go and try and use it.

While in Afghanistan we were constantly befuddled when trying to get the locals to work on local construction projects that would benefit their own village. I wonder if it was due to the fact that we were military and unable to create the lasting bonds using Pashtunwali that Greg was able to acheive.

If this is the case, then what hope would the U.S. government have?  In “Three Cups of Tea”, Greg rails against the U.S. governments misappropriation of foreign aid to Afghanistan. I will be the first to admit that the U.S. involvement in Afghanistan was far from perfect, but Greg then goes on to say that if his company had accepted funds from the United States government, he would be completely cut off from all of his resources in Pakistan. Then how could the United States give foreign aid directly, if even Greg (a trusted Infidel) could not distribute U.S. funds?