After sharing my third cup of tea posting (http://terrpress.personal.asu.edu/?p=613) with my Dutch pen pal Jasper, he told me that he liked my idea but wasn’t as optimistic as me that it could be accomplished in the near future. He added that if I wanted to get more in depth about the infrastructure I should look at OLPC or WiMax. He thought these technologies might help speed up the process or make it available to more people.

He agrees with me that communication is key to ending terrorism but that its not just about speaking the same language because violence exists even between people who speak the same language. He thinks cultural differences are also very important and that speaking the same language doesn’t bridge the gap between cultures. You really can’t understand someone’s culture entirely until you have lived in it.

Jasper doesn’t think that being able to speak the same language is necessarily the answer to terrorism but that it would be a major advantage and ideal starting point.