Recently, my pen pal and I had a conversation regarding some current media events related to terrorism. In the U.S., everyday, there are new coverage of stories all over the world in different locations. I classify myself as a light viewer, who spend less than two hours per week in front of the television screen. However, I could hardly omit the news each time turning on the television with so many choices of different news channels: CNN, BBC, Fox, MSNBC, etc. And everyday, there is a most current event get covered on television: American soldiers shooting innocent civilians caught on camera, unrest in Iran, etc.

I asked my pen pal what was the latest news on the topic of terrorism in Vietnamese media. And here is her respond:

“It’s been a while since the last time I watched TV. As far as I remember, the last time I saw, it was the news on terrorist attacks in Bahda, Iraq, whiched killed a lot of civilians. But, I know that Vietnamese media follows news from other international big corporations such as BBC, CNN, Reuters, etc. Thus, the Vietnamese media agenda is highly influenced by those big international media agenda. However, the topic of terrorism in Vietnamese media is mostly about terrorism attacks.”

The fact that the Vietnamese media does not have a full coverage of terrorism events and facts, it is hard for the audience to have a complete viewpoint of the terrorism tactics and the group caused those attacks. Thus, we are truly fortunate to have access to information that help us understand not only the tactics, but the stories behind the scenes.