I’ll add some of the additional things my penpal George and I have been talking about that hasn’t been covered by the blog.  Some of the stuff back and forth was not related to terrorism and I will mostly avoid that.  I’ll start with the Tea Party/Milita movement conversation we had.  Here is an excerpt:

I would like to state that I am a big fan of Robert Gates and if I were t vote in the US I would vote Republicans . If you have read Brave New World you should know that men are born and educated unequal but under the right management and leadership they can equally contribute to their society for the greater good. As long as Tea Party crazies do not not try to steal the only state monopoly [ use of violence ] they are OK with me . I currentl live under a socialist government under Papanedreou the 3rd , a US citizen from both parents so I can feel the Irony of socialism. Even if Tea Party Crazies are morons , they can become ‘useful fools” under a liberal organized society . Their urges for violence and militancy can be focused towards the graveyard of Empires , Afghanistan , where they can fight in order to make sure the rest of us enjoy a free , secular , liberal democracy.

I find it interesting that he considers it ok to manipulate Tea Party people toward the greater good.  Within the US, the discovery of that would be a major scandal.  I was also surprised at how much my penpal, George, knows about the Secretary of Defense, Robert Gates.  My traditional knowledge of the way Europeans notice American politics has generally exclusively focused on the office of the president and occasionally the Congress as a whole.   Though he does fit standard patterns to know very few American legislators, but then I do not know any Greek ones so knowing any is significantly better than me.    George has repeatedly expressed strong feelings against socialism, personally, I tend not to be instantiating about my opposition to socialism as a form of governance.  On the other hand, the history of Greece and various socialist based movement does justify such strong feelings.

Among other articles he sent to me was one by Greek newspapers about the US Secret Service and their duties abroad.  One of the more interesting articles was an article from STRATFOR where the police had arrested six members of the communist militant group Revolutionary Struggle which had apparently attacked the US embassy in Greece with rockets at one point.  I wonder how that failed to make the US media, other embassy terrorist attacks have repeatedly been front page news.

Other topics include like the history and culture of the US as well.  My penpal saw the documentary Guns, Germs, and Steel.  I’ve already seen it, did a mostly good job, though I outlined to my penpal where I thought it had incomplete knowledge.

The title belong to a documentary that I will see next week about european industrial revolution that made the white people more fortunate than others who were unlucky enough to be born on the rest . I think the documentary is trying to show that geography is more important than race

Most recently of course has been discussing the new Arizona immigration law and the New York City car bombing.  We have repeatedly discussed immigration issues.  One of the things that come up regularly is how much more stringent Greek law is regarding identification compared to the US.  Arizona actually trends towards European countries with the new law rather than unethical.

In Athens , Greece were I live immigrants are asked by police to provide identification again and again. Prison time and routine police checks work like aspirine in illegal immigration issues. Cancer is not cured by aspirine , illegal immigration is not stopped by road block/arrests/ID checks….This is happenig to Greece as long as I remember. What might be controversial to me is not controvercial to you and vice-versa.  News are transferred  faster than ever , but remember that there are diferent audiences that interpret the news in various ways.

One of the more striking things was George’s response to a automatic weapon carrying officer after the attempted car bombing in New York that really speaks to how much more comfortable Americans are around guns that is common.  According to Geroge:

I liked your comments on the pictures. I see them as a proof of how differert you and I  “diggest” any given Informartion. That does not mean that I disagree with you , it means that I understand events in a another perspetive. For example  , A while ago I saw in a documentary that inside NY centrar metro station , armed men that were affilited with the military [not police] were patorling the site. In Greece that would have been unacceptable because there is a mistrudt between Police-Army.

I do not think there is anyone in the United States who believes there is mistrust between the police and army in the United States.  Yet, I guess that has been issue in a number of places.